Traditionally, tostadas are flat, deep-fried tortillas topped with refried beans, cheese and other fixings. tasty, but try balancing a greasy “open face” taco in one hand while not spilling your drink from the other…awkward. We won ’t let your fiesta flop – these tortilla cups mounded with Mexican-spiced Beans and cheesy topings guarantee the only thing to hit the deck will be your Corona-crocked amigos.
For the cups:
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2-3 tablespoons corn or vegetable oil for brushing
For the filling
- 2 cup (400gms), red kidney beans (boiled)
- 1 small bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 2 cups Salsa (heat Level Of Your Choice)
- 2 cups Black Beans (boiled)
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Reduced-fat Cheddar Cheese
Other things required:
- 2 small bun pans of 6 holes (or a 12 hole muffin tray)
- 2 inch (5cm) round pastry cutter or any mould/template that will help you cut 2 inch rounds
- In a large pan, brown the boiled beans along with the taco seasoning. Add the salsa,bell peppers and black beans. Allow to simmer together for a couple of minutes and taste to check if additional salt and pepper are needed.
- Place a tortilla on a flat surface/chopping board and cut out 2-3 rounds using the pastry cutter.
- Spray a large muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray and place 1 tortilla in each muffin cup. Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cups and sprinkle equal amounts of cheese over each one. Bake in a preheated 375ºF oven for approximately 20 minutes until the tortilla is lightly crispy and the cheese has melted.