Our ultimate version of everyone’s favorite family-night dinner has a super tender and robust meat mixture, slow-simmered and flavorful sauce, and tons of cheese.
450 gm spaghetti
450 gm ground chicken
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 kg can crushed tomatoes in puree form(boiled, peeled and deseeded)
1 bay leaf
Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine ground chicken with breadcrumbs, parsley, parmesan, egg, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and red pepper flakes. Mix until just combined then form into 16 balls.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. Add meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove meatballs and reserve on plate.
- Add the remaining oil and onion and cook until onion is soft, 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Add the meatballs back into the pot, cover and simmer until the sauce has thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve pasta with a healthy scoop of meatballs and sauce. Top with Parmesan before serving.